Friday, May 29, 2009

Goat Cheese Goodness

I may have found a new favourite cheese. Well, as much as I can have a single favourite cheese! You see, I'm a bit of a cheese whore; and I like my cheese bold and flavourful.

This past weekend I was introduced to Cap Rond, a pasteruized goat's milk cheese made by the Torilli farm, a fromagerie artisinale in St-Raymond-de-Portneuf, north-west of Quebec city. It's a mold-ripened, ash-coated cheese with a natural crust and a strong flavour reminiscent of blue cheeses. If you're not fond of the rind, the centre of the cheese is rich is creamy. It costs abut $6 per 100g round.

At the same time I was also introduced to another local artisinale cheese. Jac le Chevrier is a soft mold-ripened goat cheese produced in St. Flavien, south-west of Quebec city. It has a rich, but slightly milder and chalkier flavour. The producer is certified eco-cert organic and is designated "responsable" by la Coopérative TendreVert. It costs about $9 per round.

Both cheese are available at Fromagerie Atwater in Atwater market, and no doubt at other fine cheese stores across the province.

No comments: